[Insight-users] How and what the direction of image effect the registration result in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Feb 15 14:00:51 EST 2010

Hi Xi,

The direction cosines included with medical images are
essential for making sure that basic patient information
is preserved. This is as basic as knowing which side of
the patient is the Left side and which side is the Right
side.

Four percent of (reported)  medical errors in Hospitals
are still due to confusions between the left and right side
of the patient. This includes things like performing a
surgical procedure on the wrong side of the patient.
http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=9728

It is unfortunate that Elastix has imposed this limitation
in their processing.

This restriction is unnecessary, given that ITK currently
takes the image orientation into account when computing
image registration.

You may want to contact Elastix developers
 (http://elastix.isi.uu.nl/),
maybe at the Elastix mailing list:

and ask them why is that they imposed this restriction
in the process of image registration.

Should you decide to take the risk of replacing the
direction cosines of a medical image with an identity
matrix, you must make sure that such images are never
used for providing diagnosis or care to real patients.