[Insight-users] itkDemonsRegistration: Demon points selection?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Feb 25 12:36:43 EST 2010

Hi Subrahmanyam,

 The term "Demons" covers a very large family of algorithms.

In general, any algorithm that is based on computation of local
effects could be considered a version of a Demons-like algorithm.

The implementation of the DemonsRegistrationFilter in ITK uses
all pixels in the image as Demon points, and computes a dense
deformation field from them.

As you pointed out, you could, of course, implement a smarter
way of selecting demons points, and then use interpolation (or
regularization) in order to estimate the deformation field in the
spaces where no demon points were selected.

Should you decide to go about implementing this variation of
Demons, it will be great if you could share your code with the
ITK community by posting it as a paper to the Insight Journal.  :-)

Please let us know if you have further questions,