[Insight-users] 3D affine registration.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jan 3 16:10:50 EST 2010

Hi MJM,

The optimization process is very unlikely to correct
for rotations larger than 20 degrees.

If you know that your images are misaligned by
more than 20 degrees, then your best option is to
provide a good initialization for the transform.

For example:
via the use of the LandmarkTransformInitializer class.

Beware, however, that it is common for medical images
to be acquired at different orientations and for those
orientations to be annotated as part of the image header,
particularly if you are using DICOM.  Therefore, before
you conclude that your images are off by as much as 180
degrees, you should review if there is any orientation
information in the header of those images.

One good test is to open both images into Slicer.
Slicer is one of the few applications that will display
correctly the relative positions of medical images,
including both origin and orientation.

You can get Slicer from:
http://www.slicer.org/