[Insight-users] Testing GPU-based Median Filters

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Jan 12 11:32:07 EST 2010

Hi,

Le 12 janv. 10 à 13:27, <Robert.Atwood at diamond.ac.uk> <Robert.Atwood at diamond.ac.uk
 > a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'd be especially interested if 'large' can be in excess of 5 Gb up to
> 100 Gb -- especially if multiple GPU boards can be used to advantage
> obviously requiring some strategy for sending sections to the GPU's.
>
> 1. More generally I'd think  'small' is smaller than the GPU board
> memory
>                     'medium' is larger than GPU board memory but much
> smaller than main memory
>                     'large' is larger than main memory

No ITK filter is able to run large test as you define them at this
time, without using the streaming filter for example.
Maybe it's not a good option to add this capability in this specific
filter.

> The total (input + output ) may be the important size to consider.
>
> 2. no opinion
>
> 3. I find values greater than radius=3 not especially useful,  but
> other
> people may have other requirements. Radius=1 or 2 (kernel width 3 or
> 5)
> is what I use  most often.

I agree that bigger size are not generally that useful, but ITK's
median filter is able to work with any kernel size, so it would be
great if the filter can provide the same capability.

The same capabilities and results - only the implementation and the
performance differ.

Gaëtan