[Insight-users] CT Lung Segmentation: Extract Outer Contours

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 19:52:58 EST 2010

If the holes are cavities - i.e. not connected to the surface - then
you can fill them with connected component operations - the
binaryattributemorphology package, most of which is in the review part
of ITK, has filters to do hole filling. If you are after a large
closing with a flat structuring element then the
consolidatedMorphology (also in review section) package will give you
quick 3D rectangular options of any size you like. If you really want
spheres then the parabolicMorphology package (latest version at
voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk) has some preliminary code for
fast binary erosions and dilations.

It may be that the best way to go is to start with a connected
operation - region growing or watershed transform from markers - which
won't produce holes in the first place. I've had success in the past
with CT images and watershed and very basic manual marker creation.