[Insight-users] vtk vs opengl

Udaya Bedampeta udaya.bedampeta at eigen.com
Thu Jan 21 16:16:14 EST 2010

Hi,

    I am having refresh issues while using vtk and opengl in the same
application. Here is some detail about the issue I have,

                I have 2 windows (MFC based app), One window uses Opengl to
display a human model (basically reading an stl file and constructing it).

                The other window is constructed using vtk. The same human
model is being displayed in this window too.

                Now, the issue is the human model appears fine in the vtk
window fine, but the opengl window initially does not display when the
window is shown but once I refresh it by a click in the opengl window the
human model comes back. In contrary to it if I explicitly call glFInish()
and wglMakeCurrentContext(null, null) in onpaint() of opengl window the
human model appears just fine as in vtk window. Since I am newbie I am not
making any speculations for this behavior but feel that vtk is holding up
some handles, resources etc which is being used by opengl window.

                I appreciate any thoughts about the issues and what is the
better way of using vtk vs opengl in the same application.

                Thanks all in advance.

Thanks,

Uday