[Insight-users] PolylineMask2DImageFilter and PolyLineParametricPath

Dirk Boye body at nabla.org
Fri Jul 9 12:03:04 EDT 2010

Dear list,

I got a binary 0/1 image with a circle for example.
First I extract the contour with itkContourExtractor2DImageFilter.
Then I try to use the output itkPolyLineParametricPath to create the
image again (first set all image pixels to 1 and then use
itkPolylineMask2DImageFilter to set all outside pixel to 0)

That doesn't work! Although the itkPolyLineParametricPath has
clockwise running points and no duplicate vertices.

The problem seems to be that the resulting polygon is a concave polygon
as shown in following image: (look at the top centre for example, there
are 2 internal angles with more than 180 degrees)

http://www.nabla.org/circlecontour.png

Is there a way to do a convex decomposition of the concave polygon?
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~chazelle/pubs/OptimalConvexDecomp.pdf
(I do not want a convex hull)

Cheers,
Dirk