[Insight-users] Recommendation of algorithms for liver vessel extraction

Moti Freiman freiman at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Jun 21 15:57:40 EDT 2010

Hi,
i recommend you to enhance the image with a vesselness enhancement
filter which is available in ITK prior to the region growing method.
The vesselness filter doc is on:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen318/html/classitk_1_1Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter.html

and the enhancement with it described in:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/314 with itk based
code.

There are several papers deal with this problem. google "liver vessels
segmentation"  will yield my paper among others. Recent work was
published in Medical Image Analysis (see: Baur et al, "Segmentation of
interwoven 3d tubular tree structures utilizing shape priors and graph
cuts", Medical Image Analysis 14 (2010) 172–184)

There is also existing software tools like Hepa-Vision from Mevis that
should do the work.

Good luck,
Moti