[Insight-users] itk ResampleImageFilter + OutputDirection Problem (dicom)

Aussensaiter s.ganger at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 08:52:38 EST 2010

Hi.
Im using the latest Release of VTK/ITK/GDCM and currently I am working on
viewing slices in 3 dimension from a set of dicom slices. I stumbled across
a problem and i can't figure out how to solve it, likely because i don't
fully understand what the transform/ResampleImageFilter does.

I have  a itkOrientedImage that is created from slices, which results in a
3D image.
I then pass it to an ResampleImageFilter where i use LinearInterpolation and
AffineTransform. So far so good, _but_ if I got 1 dataset that produces
problems:
http://pubimage.hcuge.ch:8080/     The set(one of them, afterwards i found 2
more) that makes problems is the "KNEE" example.

I got two cases and two sets, for an example that works heres the "brain"
set:
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/2762-dicom-example-files

Case 1:
I _don't_ use the method "SetOutputDirection(itkimage->GetDirection())" and
don't feed the filter with the direction from the image.
The brain image is shown exactly as in Slicer3 which i use to compare my
results, and isn't a cube with horizontal lines.
The images are not taken horizontally, so its a little bit rotated, which
can be seen in this image :
http://old.nabble.com/file/p27768466/Bildschirmphoto1.png
But, the knee image is just a monocoloured canvas with no texture at all,
just blank and one colour, so basically useless.

Case2:
I  _use_ the method "SetOutputDirection(itkimage->GetDirection())" and feed
the filter with the direction from the image.
Then i get both sample sets correct, but in the brain example the little
rotation is missing. And also in the Knee example of course, but that is the
only way I can view it anyway.

Can someone tell me how to get around this, and how to fix it ? I don't know
if I am using the wrong transform, or how to tell the transform how to
translate the dimensions ?

Thanks, and seeing forward to your help :)