[Insight-users] Fast symmetric demons registration

Ganesh Narayanasamy nganesh76 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:07:00 EST 2010

Hi,
 I am keen on using Vercauteren's Fast symmetric demons registration (http://hdl.handle.net/1926/510) . Even though I have worked on image registration, I am very new to the demons method, to ITK as well as to C++. Can someone guide me with regard to these 2 issues:
a) When I registered 2 3D-CT images of phantom, I got this response. The output image is not that good and I would need to tweak with some of the parameters. Can you let me know which ones to tweak.

C:\Ganesh\DiffeomorphicDemons\Build\Debug>DemonsRegistration.exe -f S2_SE3.mha -m S4_SE3.mha -o Demon-output-S2SE4fS4SE4m.mha

Starting demons registration with the following arguments:
Arguments structure:
  Fixed image file: S2_SE3.mha
  Moving image file: S4_SE3.mha
  Input field file:
  Input transform file:
  Output image file: Demon-output-S2SE4fS4SE4m.mha
  Output field file:
  True field file:
  Number of multiresolution levels: 3
  Number of demons iterations: [ 15 10 5 ]
  Deformation field sigma: 1.5
  Update field sigma: 0
  Maximum update step length: 2
  Update rule: exponentialize and compose (Diffeomorphic)
  Type of gradient: symmetrized (ESM for diffeomorphic and compositive)
  Use histogram matching: false
  Algorithm verbosity (debug level): 0

b) Is there a way to select control points in the 2 3D images?

Thanks,
Ganesh