[Insight-users] Fast symmetric demons registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 18 12:24:02 EDT 2010

Hi Ganesh,

1)  The Demons methods in ITK do not use control points.

     The compute a dense deformation field that has the same
     pixel resolution (and image grid) of the fixed image.

2) When dealing with multi-resolution methods you want to
    start fine tunning parameters level by level.  That is, run
    first only the coarsest level, and fine tune its parameters
    until you get a satisfactory result, only then, move to the
    next resolution level.

3) If the image is not deforming enough: reduce sigma
    If the image is deforming too much: increase sigma.

4) Applying histogram matching will be very important if
    your images have different scales of gray levels.

    Have you compared the histograms of the Fixed and
    Moving images ?

    Demons relies a lot on your images having almost
    the same intensity scaling, since it computes optical
     flow at every pixel.