[Insight-users] Fwd: Re: Few questions about quad edge mesh filters

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 17 14:27:52 EDT 2010

ooops, I pressed reply not reply all...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Insight-users] Few questions about quad edge mesh filters
Date: 	Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0400
From: 	Arnaud GELAS <arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu>
To: 	Andriy Fedorov <fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu>

On 03/17/2010 12:55 PM, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
>  On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:07, Andriy Fedorov<fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu>   wrote:
>
>>  1) the normals produced by QuadEdgeMesh are always (nan,nan,nan). I
>>  saw the comment in the documentation, that the input and output mesh
>>  traits should be the same for this filter to work, but this does not
>>  seem to help.
>>

>  Update: this happens with the default (THURMER) weight type for
>  normals calculation, because the weight is calculated to NaN. If I
>  switch to GOURAUD or AREA weights, it seems to work.

I'll check that!

>  By the way, the documentation does not mention what is the difference
>  between the different normal calculation modes.
You're right, I should update the doxygen documentation to explain
differences between normal calculation modes.
>  Is there an Insight
>  Journal paper that lists the details?

Yes there is one insight journal paper where you will find references
for each method
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/303

>>  2) whenever I am using QuadEdgeMeshQuadricDecimation, the decimated
>>  surface is obviously incorrect
>>  (QuadEdgeMeshSquaredEdgeLengthDecimation generates very nice surface).
>>  Attached are screenshots for the MC surface, quadrics-decimated
>>  surface, and squared edge decimation result
>>
>>  Source code and test data: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3770904/QuadEdgeTests.tgz
>>  Command line to reproduce the first problem (second issue can be
>>  reproduced trivially by swapping the decimator): "QuadEdgeMeshTests
>>  blob1.nrrd output_mesh.vtk 10"
>>
>>  I see this problem both with the latest checkout of the 3.16 branch,
>>  and with the current trunk build.
>>
>>  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

ok, I'll have a look that one too!