[Insight-users] Manual selection of control points

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 18 12:02:40 EDT 2010

Hi Ganesh,

1)  We don't have code for automatic selection of control points.

2) If you are looking for landmarks that can be used for initializing
    the Affine transform, you may have to select them manually and
    the use the LandmarkBasedTransfromInitializer.

    People in the list  may be able to recommend method for selecting
    salient features from images....

3) For the BSpline transform, we usually generate a regular grid,
    so there is no real need for automatic selection of points.

    You could use the class:

                   itkBSplineDeformableTransformInitializer

    that you will find in Insight/Code/Review

    its usage is described in the following Insight Journal paper:

    "Helper class for initializing the grid parameters of a
     BSpline deformable transform by using an image as reference"
     http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/216
     http://hdl.handle.net/1926/1338

4) Regarding validation of deformable registration you may
    find interesting this other paper from the Insight Journal:

     "A Framework for Comparison and Evaluation of
      Nonlinear Intra-Subject Image Registration Algorithms"
      by Urschler M., Kluckner S., Bischof H.
     Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision,
     Graz University of Technology, Austria
     http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/166
     http://hdl.handle.net/1926/561

5)  If you want to use fiducial marks as the basis for the
     evaluation, then you may find useful the following
     classes from the Image Guided Surgery Toolkit (IGSTK)
     (http://www.igstk.org):

      IGSTK/Source/
            igstkLandmark3DRegistrationErrorEstimator.cxx
            igstkLandmark3DRegistrationErrorEstimator.h
            igstkLandmark3DRegistration.h
            igstkLandmark3DRegistration.cxx

     They implement the method described in

     "Fiducial Point Placement and the Accuracy of
       Point-based, Rigid Body Registration",
         J.B West et al,
      Neurosurgery, pp 810-816, Vol.48, No.4, April 2001.