[Insight-users] Direction of the transform in the registration framework

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 20:11:42 EDT 2010

Hello,

I think I now see how this would work. Had missed that the resampler
would iterate through all the voxels in the fixed image grid and
assign the transformed them intensity values interpolated from the
moving image. Now, I can see how this would result in a translation in
the opposite direction after the resampling.

However, one last question in the same vein. The guide says:
"If we have used the Transform that maps coordinates from the moving
image physical space into the fixed image physical space, then the
resampling process could not guarantee that every pixel in the grid of
the fixed image was going to receive one and only one value. In other
words, the resampling will have resulted in an image with holes and
with redundant or overlapped pixel values."

Is this true for even simple transforms as I mentioned before. I am
having difficulty seeing how this would be the case for affine or
rigid transforms. Here every voxel sould map to a unique position in
space, right? Can someone give an example or explain when this might
occur?

Thanks,

Anja

--