[Insight-users] Direction of the transform in the registration framework

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 25 14:51:06 EDT 2010

Hi Anja,

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Regarding your remaining question:

Please consider the following simple case of resampling:

A) Fixed image
    Size 100 x 100 pixels
    Spacing 1.0mm x 1.0 mm
    Origin    0.0, 0.0
    Direction: Identity Matrix

B) Moving image

    Size 50 x 50 pixels
    Spacing 2.0mm x 2.0 mm
    Origin    0.0, 0.0
    Direction: Identity Matrix

C) Transform: Identity

If you do the resampling by visiting all pixels from
the Moving image, and finding their corresponding
pixels in the Fixed image, you will visit

                 50 x 50 = 2,500 pixels,

and will find destinations for them and store there
the appropriate intensities.

The fixed image, however, has

              100 x 100 = 10,000 pixels.

So clearly there will be 7,500 pixels that will not
receive an intensity value. Those are the "holes"
to which we are referring in the ITK Software Guide.

This is the reason why resampling must be done
by visiting the pixels of the destination image.