[Insight-users] Cerebral aneurysm Angiogram REGISTRATION DOUBT!

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 25 19:17:24 EDT 2010

Hi Gaurav,

You can do the following:

A) Create a 3D image whose size, spacing, origin and orientation
     are such that one of its faces will be parallel to one of the
     2D images that you have, and another face will be parallel to the
     other 2D image.

     In this configuration, for every pixel of one of the 2D images,
     you will have a corresponding row of pixels in the 3D image.

B)  Visit in synchrony the 2D image and the 3D image, and for
     every pixel of the 2D image, fill up the entire corresponding
     row of the 3D image with the intensity values of the 2D pixel.

C)  Repeat with the other 2D image, but this time add the intensity
      values to the 3D image row.

Once you are done, you will have higher intensity values in the
locations where pixels of the same structure intersect.

This will still be full of ambiguities, but will give you a starting
point for bringing the two 2D images into 3D space.

The vessels at the base of the skull should be rather easy to
match, so you may want to start tracking from there.

Note that if your angiograms have the usual presentation in
which the contrast agent appears dark in a bright background,
then you should be looking for the darkest pixels of the 3D image.