[Insight-users] canny level set segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Mar 27 13:06:49 EDT 2010

Hi Jesse,

Canny edges may not be a good method for segmenting blood
vessels, specially is these vessels are very fine.

The Canny edges detect derivatives of intensity, and therefore
they need a support of more than a couple of pixels. That is,
the intensity transition should happen in a band.

Small vessels may not be able to produce significant Canny
edges on both sides of the vessel.

You may find useful to look at the many methods available
for detecting vasculature.

In particular, you should look at the applications:

     InsightApplications/
            Curves2DExtractor
            Curves3DExtractor
            DuctExtractor

as well as the classes:

           Insight/Code/Review/
itkHessianToObjectnessMeasureImageFilter.h
itkMultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter.h

------

About your second question:

The output of the CannySegmentationLevelSetImageFilter is
a level set.  For a description of the representation of Level Sets
please refer to the ITK Software Guide:

             http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in the "Image Segmentation" chapter.