[Insight-users] itk::SmartPointer - problem making code const-correct

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri May 28 11:32:41 EDT 2010

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your detailed question.

1) When writing functions that take an image as an argument,
    we usually use a Raw pointer instead of a Smart Pointer.

    The reason is that SmartPointers will not do polymorphism.

    That is, if you use smart pointers, you can call that function
    later with an argument that is a derived class of that image
    type.

    If you look at most ITK filters, you will find that raw pointers
    are used in the API, for passing and receiving images.

    However, when we call those functions we pass a SmartPointer
    to them (since SmartPointers know how to cast themselves as
    raw pointers).

2) The only case in which you may want to pass an image
    SmartPointer as argument to a function is when you are
    creating that image inside the function.

    In that case, passing the SmartPointer by reference is
    a reasonable choice.

3) Please note that the construction

          const    Image::ConstPointer &  ptr ....;

    prevents the internal mechanisms of the SmartPointer
    from working, since the "const" keyword prevents the "ptr"
    variable from changing. (strictly speaking it prevents the
    smart pointer from calling the non-const method Register()
    on the object that it points to).