[Insight-users] Memory issue

Sergio Vera sergio.vera at alma3d.com
Fri Nov 26 03:34:27 EST 2010

Without knowing the exact image resolution/size, I would expect difficulties
with the hessian at least: on a hessian image each pixel is a 3x3 double
matrix... just multiply...and add intermediate images inbetween the
pipeline, other procesess..

You may certainly experiment some memory problems. Check this thread for
tips related to memory and speed optimizations within ITK:
http://old.nabble.com/Guidelines-for-speed-and-memory-footprint-optimization-td30178329.html

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Arunachalam Kana <
Kana.Arunachalam at fh-wels.at> wrote:

> Hi ITK Users,
>

> Situation: I have 32Gb unsigned short image and I use a 64bit machine, with
> linux, and my RAM size is 64Gb. I would like to apply the following itk
> algorithm:
>
> Step1: Original image -> Anisotropic diffusion image filter -> smoothed
> image
>

> Step 2: Own filter: I calculate the hessian for the input image. I use the
> hessian image and the input image to segment and produce an output image.
>
> Smoothed image -> hessianrecurssivegaussianimagefilter-> smoothed image +
> hessian image ->segmentation function -> segmented image
>

> Step 3: Segmented image -> 3dbinarythinning -> thinned image.
>

> After every step the output image will be save to local hard disk.
>

> Questions:
>
> 1.       Will there be any memory problem in application of anisotropic
> diffusion filter, hessian filter and 3dbinarythinning?
>
> 2.       If the answer is yes to the above question. How can i solve it?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Kana Arunachalam Kannappan
>
> Research Associate