[Insight-users] RayCastInterpolateImageFunction: THIS IS WHAT A PAPER SHOULD BE !

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Oct 17 08:36:57 EDT 2010

Hi Markus,

Thanks for sharing the extended
framework for DRR generation.

I found your report to be EXCELLENT !

http://ibia.umit.at/ResearchGroup/Phil/web/Simple2D3DRegistrationFramework.html

   You just have shown us how a REAL
   scientific paper should be published
   in our field.

1) It is online

2) It is freely accessible

3) It includes the source code

4) It even includes binaries for several
    platforms

5) It has a clear copyright notice
    and a generous license.

6) It doesn't waste time in the delusional
    exercise that most papers in journals
    and conferences do for "comparing"
    with other methods, with the obvious
    intent to show the "superiority" of theirs.
    (anyone who knows how to make
     comparisons notice that the typical
     papers in our field are just pretending
     to provide the appearance of comparison
     with the legerdemain attitude of coming
     up on top of other methods.
     Simple "marketing")

7) It shows direct data from experiments
    and clearly describes how someone
    else could repeat them.

8) It is the kind of technical report that
    clearly shows that it was intended
    to be read, understood and used by
    peers.

It is quite refreshing to see a REAL paper,
worth of the Information Age, instead of
the decrepit material that we see so often
in journals and conferences.

Maybe there is hope for this field after all...

    THANK YOU !