[Insight-users] Segmentation of noisy images

mlsc 310 mlsc310 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 10:42:48 EST 2011

Hi,

I would like to do 3D segmentation on noisy medical images. The aim is to
obtain at the end a binarized image volume where voxels that correspond to
tissue are set to 1 and the background voxels are set to 0. I can consider
that the object is uniform, but I have to eliminate the noisy voxels on the
background and after segmentation I need to fill the holes on the object
that I'll get during the segmentation process.
As I'm using C++, I think that I can find on ITK and VTK some of the tools
I need, but it is not clear for me which tools are more appropriate and
when shall I use ITK or VTK for some of the steps.
So far, I'm trying to find out if ConnectedThresholdImageFilter (ITK),
FillHolesFilter (VTK) and PolyDataToImageData (VTK) are of any use on this.
I appreciate any help.

Regards,
Claudia