[Insight-users] Segmentation of noisy images

Jon Haitz Legarreta jhlegarreta at vicomtech.org
Wed Dec 7 03:06:49 EST 2011

Dear Claudia,
as for the dimensions, since ITK image types are templated over the
dimensionality, ITK will perform segmentation over 2D or 3D images without
any further consideration
.
As for the noise, you can try any edge preserving smothing filter ITK
offers (depending on the input images and requirements you have). You will
get rid of the noise and the sharp boundaries of your structures of
interest will be hopefully preserved, since you will need them afterwards
to perform the segmentation.
If you didn't have a look at it yet, the ITK Software Guide may give you
some hints on this.

In order to fill the holes, since you will apply the filter to an already
binarized image you may want to use the use the
BinaryMorphologicalClosingImageFilter. It works quite well.

So far, I've only used VTK for visualization purposes, so I am not aware of
the image processing filters it may have.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
JON HAITZ