[Insight-users] Reading 4d image using SimpleITK

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Dec 14 16:39:51 EST 2011

Hello Andriy,

SimpleITK only supports 2D and 3D sitk::Images.

Could you please share a little more about the image you are trying to read? What type is it and what is the meta data that ITK's ImageIO sees when it reads the header (ie Number of Dimensions, Size of the dimensions, etc...)? I would like to be able to reproduce your problem.

When ITK's ImageFileReader is instantiated over a dimension that is less than that the file is reporting it will generally, just read that first hyper-slice. We could do similar behavior is SimpleITK. Always try to read, and print a warning if the dimensions is higher.

Another feature that is planned, is the support for reading ROI's. I had not previously thought about the possibility of this feature enabling support for reading higher dimension images into 3D images, but is may be possible.

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Medical Science and Computing for
National Library of Medicine