[Insight-users] Filling big 3D holes

Dawood Masslawi masslawi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:55:27 EST 2011

Hi Gib,
In addition to what Brian and Richard said, maybe using a different segmentation method
can improve the results altogether since you have no problems with small-diameter vessels
and your problem is with the vessels of large diameter, even when they would have no
holes. You haven't mentioned what segmentation method you use in your preprocessing
step, my suggestion is to incorporate a priori in the segmentation based on a initial
estimation of a binary edge image with its gaps filled (which would be easier than filling the
gaps in a binary image). I think there are two segmentation methods already implemented
in ITK with the ability to incorporate a priori, geodesic active contour with shape guidance
and shape prior level set. Also, the Canny edge detector gives a good estimation of the
edges.
Regards,
Dawood