[Insight-users] Big performance difference reading DICOM files using itkImageSeriesReader or vtkGDCMImageReader

Roger Bramon Feixas rogerbramon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 05:51:41 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm developing with ITK 3.20 + GDCM 2.0.17 + VTK 5.6 and I've noticed
itkImageSeriesReader is ~2x slower than vtkGDCMImageReader (from GDCM2). I
compared both codes and I think the difference is the extra copy which
itkImageSeriesReader makes from ImageFileReader's output to its own output
(ImageSeriesReader::GenerateData() line 393). I've commented it just to test
the time needed without making the copy and now both readers take more or
less the same time.

Is there a way to avoid the copy? I mean, could ImageFileReader write into
the itkImageSeriesReader's output allocated memory directly?

I've also attached a test program if someone want to test it.

Thanks for your attention,

Roger