[Insight-users] Hexahedral Mesh Quality

Matt McCormick matt at mmmccormick.com
Thu Jan 27 04:54:15 EST 2011

Hi H-B,

> I have used IA_FEMesh to create hexahedral mesh, but the mesh quality was
not like what i expected. I think the problem is in creating block which i
couldn't create it perfectly.

You may want to try tetrahedrons instead of hexahedrons.  They handle complex
geometries better.

> While i was reading, i found that hexahedral mesh need preprocessing.
> They used SolidWorks to create -automatically- solid models. Then ABAQUS to
create mesh.
> Is there a free or trial version of SolidWork?

SolidWorks is big bucks.  But it looks like you already have a nice solid model.

> Or is there automatic block generator for IA-FEMesh?

I have had success with gmsh in the past.
http://geuz.org/gmsh/

Best,
Matt