[Insight-users] ITK versus Opencv

hanifa mohamed hanifa_email at yahoo.com.sg
Mon Jul 4 05:24:46 EDT 2011

Hi,
     I have been using Opencv for some time and am now studying on the feasiblity of using ITK.

Here's the positives, which I appreciate from ITK.
1) Kudos to generic programming ideology used in ITK.
2) I also like its object factories and smart pointers, easies the burden for the developer.
3) The pipeline methodology of stringing together filters is also nice.

However, how about speed and performance? Since OpenCV runs on native C code, is it in way better optimised and faster than ITK's template approach.

How about using OpenMP (or any parallel processing ) with ITK ? Not an important consideration now, but I'd still like to know. OpenCV supports OpenMP but how about ITK.

May I know the key differences and similarities between these 2 libraries and when is one more preferred ?

IMO, Itk seems to triumph over Opencv. But Opencv is still going strong. Is it more of legacy issue ?

I know my question is kinda biased but I do hope, i can get some honest answers.

Thanks in advance.