[Insight-users] 3D Slicer

Andrew Top atop at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 8 20:15:36 EDT 2011

Hi, you can also try using TurtleSeg to view the 3D image, and even outline
an object in it for better visualization of its surface.  You can download
TurtleSeg here: http://www.turtleseg.org/

TurtleSeg cannot directly read "bmp" or "tif" files though.  In the case of
uncompressed files (as would be the case with a series of "bmp" images), you
can create a MetaImage header file (such as "image.mhd") and enter in to it
the following text to describe properties of the 3D image:

ObjectType = Image
NDims = 3
DimSize = 512 512 100
ElementType = MET_USHORT
HeaderSize = -1
ElementSize = 1 1 3
ElementSpacing = 1 1 1
ElementByteOrderMSB = False
ElementDataFile = LIST
filenameOfSlice1
filenameOfSlice2
filenameOfSlice3
filenameOfSlice4
.
. (one hundred filenames must be specified to specify the 100 slices in the
volume)
.

For more information, see here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/MetaIO/Documentation#Reading_DICOM_and_Other_One-Slice-Per-File_Data_Formats

Then, you can open this new MHD file with TurtleSeg in order to open the
series of images as a 3D image.

    Andrew