[Insight-users] Coordinates in ITK

JOJOW jieqiong.wang17 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:02:43 EDT 2011

In medical image processing, there are  three kinds of coordinate system:
world, anatomical and image coordinate system. The latter two are more
commonly used. In ITK, LPS is used as anatomical system.

In ITK,

PointType p0;
p0[0] = -1.0; // x coordinate
p0[1] = -1.0; // y coordinate
p0[2] = 10.0; // z coordinate
are used to set the coordinate of a point. If I write p0 to a txt file, I
get [-1,-1,10].

ImageType::IndexType pixelIndex;
pixelIndex[0] = 27; // x position
pixelIndex[1] = 29; // y position
pixelIndex[2] = 37; // z position
are used to set the position of a voxel.

My question is
How the coordinate systems built for PointType and ImageType::Index?
If I read an nii image in MRIcroN, what is the relationship between X,Y,Z in
MRIcroN and PointType coordinate or pixelIndex coordinate?