[Insight-users] Coordinates in ITK

JOJOW jieqiong.wang17 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:07:48 EDT 2011

In medical image processing, there are  three kinds of coordinate system:
world, anatomical and image coordinate system. The latter two are more
commonly used. In ITK, LPS is used as anatomical system.

In ITK,

PointType p0;
p0[0] = -1.0; // x coordinate
p0[1] = -1.0; // y coordinate
p0[2] = 10.0; // z coordinate
are used to set the coordinate of a point. If I write p0 to a txt file, I
get [-1,-1,10].

ImageType::IndexType pixelIndex;
pixelIndex[0] = 27; // x position
pixelIndex[1] = 29; // y position
pixelIndex[2] = 37; // z position
are used to set the position of a voxel.

My question is
How are the coordinate systems built for PointType and ImageType::Index?
If I read an nii image in MRIcroN, what is the relationship between X,Y,Z in
MRIcroN and PointType coordinate or pixelIndex coordinate in ITK?
What is the relationship between  PointType coordinate and pixelIndex
coordinate in ITK?

Best regards!