[Insight-users] Does ConfidenceConnectedImageFilter remove pixels?

Sergio Vera sergio.vera at alma3d.com
Wed May 4 03:42:41 EDT 2011

In a recent thread that I cannot find right now, someone said that Connf
connected can discard already segmented pixels as iterations increase,
giving certain conditions (ie: a big number of homogeneous pixels are
segmented, lowering the mean and hence excluding pixels that were segmented
before, if I remember correctly)

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Miklos Espak <espakm at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem happens when the multiplier is below 1.0. Is it a misuse to
> specify such a multiplier?
>
> I attached a sample code, and I will send the sample image in private.
> (0.5MB)
>
> Thanks,
> Miklos
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Karthik Krishnan <
> karthik.krishnan at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> It should not. Are you adding as seeds an entire mask of pixels ? Can
>> you post a minimal working example demonstrating this
>>
>> thx
>>

>> On 5/3/11, Miklos Espak <espakm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > can the ConfidenceConnectedImageFilter remove pixels from the detected
>> > region?
>> >
>> > I found that if I increase the number of iterations (from 3 to 30), the
>> > created mask will contain fewer pixels.
>> >
>> > The documentation says that "letting the algorithm run for more
>> iterations
>> > the region will end up engulfing the entire image", but I have not found
>> > anything about that the region may shrink.
>> >
>> > How is that possible?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Miklos

Sergio Vera