[Insight-users] speed of itk cross correlation vs matlab

Matt McCormick matt at mmmccormick.com
Tue May 24 22:05:05 EDT 2011

jimmylovesni <jimmylovesni at ...> writes:

> hello
> before i get started trying ITK, i want to know if it will be any faster
> than matlab. I am doing 3D cross correlations ((2 photon image z stacks)
> which take 2-3 days to process in matlab for the areas I am searching. What
> kind of ballpark comparable speeds will i see with ITK?
> thanks
> Jim

Hi Jim,

The amount of speedup is likely to be worth-while.  Note the following
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~deaton/ncc/remarks_osx.html
This is OpenCV code vs Matlab script.  ITK speed-ups will be nearly as high, but
you also have the great benefit of a framework designed for medical imaging
(always takes into account image spacing and origin properly).

Matt