[Insight-users] how to merge commits to release branch?

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Wed Apr 4 11:06:53 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 4/4/2012 10:21 AM, Xiaoxiao Liu wrote:
>
>> Currently the gerrit alias we were using for ITK (gerrit-push and
>> gerrit-merge) only keep track of
>> the master branch.
>>
>> How about merging to release branch?
>>

> Gerrit doesn't actually compute the merges so it does not
> need to know anything special for release.  You don't need
> to do refs/for/release/..., just gerrit-push is fine.  The
> main difference is where you start the branch.
>

>> I did starting my topic branch from the origin/release.
I tried gerrit-push first actually, but gerrit tends to recognize the branch
as "master" (appear on the gerrit item page)
even you start from release. See http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/4872/.

> Just follow the instructions here:
>
>  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/**Git/Develop#Create_a_Topic<http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git/Develop#Create_a_Topic>
>  "If you are fixing a bug in the latest release then
>   substitute origin/release for origin/master."
>
> That will make sure the change starts on a version old
> enough to go to release.  Then add a note in the review
> page that asks for it to go to release.  Add Matt M.
> as a reviewer so he can handle it.
>
> -Brad

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124