[Insight-users] Problem with Memory considerations of Laplacian of Gaussian

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 11 23:18:18 EDT 2012

Hello,

You by any chance aren't still using ITKv 3.20? There have been numerous improvements to the LaplacianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter since then, including making many the filter run "InPlace", which must be enabled. However internally the filter still used a RealPixelType of a double for each pixel.

I have also written a multi-scale laplacian blob detector. It currently only works to detect dark blob, but I have been meaning to make in more general and write an Insight Journal article about it. I have it as a little external module for ITKv4 on github[1]. This repository can be just cloned into ITKv4's Module/External directory. However, this filter will peak at least 3 images of double in memory.

[1] https://github.com/blowekamp/itkScaleSpace

Hope this helps,
Brad