[Insight-users] ITK V4.0.0 with Python Wrapping

Mathieu Stumpf mathieu.stumpf at etu.unistra.fr
Wed Feb 8 09:38:00 EST 2012

>Hi there,
>
>I am missing something during the compile/installation of ITK V4.0.0 on
a 64-bit openSUSE machine. I have used previous versions
>of ITK from within python, but I have missed something under V4.0.0.
>
>From within cmake, I have ticked the boxes 'BUILD_SHARED_LIBS',
'ITK_USE_REVIEW' and 'WRAP_ITK_PYTHON' and generated a Makefile.
>The compilation and install executes without error.
>
>When I go into python, I get the following,
>	Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 07 2010, 16:54:59) [GCC] on linux2
>	Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>	PySwigIterator not found in module ITKPyBase because of exception:
>	 'module' object has no attribute 'PySwigIterator'
>	PySwigIterator not found in module ITKPyBase because of exception:
>	 'module' object has no attribute 'PySwigIterator'
>	<class 'ITKCommonBasePython.itkVersion'>
>
>Any hints or suggestions to resolve this will be most appreciated,
thanks

I have the same problem here, on a Linux version 2.6.32-5-amd64 (Debian
2.6.32-41), using the ITK tarball stable release.

Moreover when I was seeking for the wrapper's install path (to set the
env path), I found that :
  $ ls /usr/local/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/
  ;CACHE;INTERNAL;PATH;subpath where where most of WrapITK files will be
installed

(the thing being listed is a directory name)
Seems like there's a problem with the installation scripts.

Anyway, I renamed this directory to src and set my env path like that :

        export ITKWRAPPEDINSTALLED=/usr/local/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/src/
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ITKWRAPPEDINSTALLED:$ITKWRAPPEDINSTALLED/WrapITK/lib:/usr/local/lib/vtk-5.8/
        export PYTHONPATH=$ITKWRAPPEDINSTALLED/WrapITK/lib/:$ITKWRAPPEDINSTALLED/WrapITK/Python/

Here is what the famous previous dir contains :
        $ ls /usr/local/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/src/**
        /usr/local/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/src/WrapITKConfig.cmake

        /usr/local/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/src/Configuration:
        CMakeUtilityFunctions.cmake  Generators           Typedefs              WrapITKTypes.cmake
        ConfigureWrapping.cmake      TypedefMacros.cmake  WrapBasicTypes.cmake

And my complete python error:
        >>> import itk
        >>> ls
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
        NameError: name 'ls' is not defined
        >>> lecteur1 = itk.ImageFileReader.IUC2.New(Filename=CellsFluorescence1.png)
        PySwigIterator not found in module ITKPyBase because of exception:
         'module' object has no attribute 'PySwigIterator'
        PySwigIterator not found in module ITKPyBase because of exception:
         'module' object has no attribute 'PySwigIterator'
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
          File "/usr/local/lib/ITK-4.0/Python/itkLazy.py", line 37, in __getattribute__
            itkBase.LoadModule(module, namespace)
          File "/usr/local/lib/ITK-4.0/Python/itkBase.py", line 95, in LoadModule
            LoadModule(dep, namespace)
          File "/usr/local/lib/ITK-4.0/Python/itkBase.py", line 103, in LoadModule
            if not swigModuleName in sys.modules: module = loader.load(swigModuleName)
          File "/usr/local/lib/ITK-4.0/Python/itkBase.py", line 214, in load
            return imp.load_module(name, fp, pathname, description)
          File "/usr/local/lib/ITK-4.0/Python/ITKCommonPython.py", line 30, in <module>
            _ITKCommonPython = swig_import_helper()
          File "/usr/local/lib/ITK-4.0/Python/ITKCommonPython.py", line 26, in swig_import_helper
            _mod = imp.load_module('_ITKCommonPython', fp, pathname, description)
        ImportError: libitksys-4.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hope that someone will be able to help me.

Kind regards,
Mathieu