[Insight-users] Registration Framework

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Feb 11 10:46:30 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 4:03 AM,  <lisadean.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>

> I was reading through your explanation of the registration framework on the following link-  http://itk-insight-users.2283740.n2.nabble.com/itkLinearInterpolateImageFunction-td3118246.html, and a few doubts arose which I would now like to put to you.
>
> 1) Your explanation brings me to the conclusion that the metric(eg: SSD, EuclideanPointDistanceMetric) actually compares intensity of the transformed point and that of the input fixed point which would mean that the registration framework cannot be used in the case of multimodality images, eg: CT and MRI, since the intensities are different. Am I right in this interpretation?

Yes, you are right.

> 2)How then can multimodality registration be performed in ITK?

You may want to use any of the Mutual Information Metrics:

itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.h
itkMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.h
itkMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.h
itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.h
itkKullbackLeiblerCompareHistogramImageToImageMetric.h

> Thanks a lot for your help
> Lisa

Hope that helps,