[Insight-users] Simple ITK vs Scripted ITK vs full ITK

Audette, Michel A. maudette at odu.edu
Thu Jan 12 16:41:25 EST 2012

Dear ITK users and developers,

I'm giving thought to producing a course similar to John Galeotti's at CMU, i.e. medical image analysis based on ITK, but I'm also considering whether to use Simple ITK, or scripted ITK (you guys are working on that, right?), vs ITK Classic.

I want to give the students the full breadth of possibilities, but at the same time, if I can attract biology students to the class on the basis of a script-based course, that might a justification for opting for the scripting-based version.

Can anyone give me a sense of how much ITK functionality I would be sacrificing if I opt for script-based ITK (what is it: python?) vs what will be available via C++-based ITK, Simple or otherwise?

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Cheers,

Michel

Michel Audette, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Department of Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Engineering,
Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, VA.