[Insight-users] Simple ITK vs Scripted ITK vs full ITK

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Jan 12 23:43:32 EST 2012

Hi Michel,

Another ITK based course would be great!

SimpleITK is probably your best bet at this point.  It will remove
language hurtles that may cloud the learning process, and it still
provides a basis for what can easily be a full course.  The most
notable drawback right now with SimpleITK is a lack of registration
interfaces.  There is good Doxygen documentation, and the SimpleITK
developers are working on a user's guide and better in-language help.

The script-based ITK (WrapITK) is available, and it would not be a bad
choice either.  It removes the high programming bar for understanding
C++, templates, writing typedefs, ...  You can build the python
interface by setting ITK_WRAP_PYTHON to ON in the CMake configuration.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with ITK classic, either.  However,
the other interfaces may be more effective as a gateway drug other
than direct access to "the good stuff".

Best regards,
Matt