[Insight-users] Wrapping R with SimpleITK

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jan 24 10:34:22 EST 2012

Hello,

This is great there is so much interest in R with SimpleITK!

We have a weekly TCON on SimpleITK wednesdays at 9:30am. I think that it would be best if those interested in R and SimpleITK could all get together to discuss what needs to be done to fully support R. This week we need to focus on resolving some issues before the release scheduled for next week.

So I'd like to propose that we have a TCON next Wednesday on R and  SimpleITK. Please let me know if this time will work for you.

Brad

On Jan 24, 2012, at 10:02 AM, brian avants wrote:

> hi everyone
>
> we've been working on this as well --- actually, mainly shrinidhi
> (cc'd).  he's got simpleitk => R compilation set up with cmake and
> more or less ready to go as an R package.  the package needs to be
> filled out, though, with R friendly wrapper functions.    i will
> discuss again with him tomorrow.
>
> brian
>

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Brandon Whitcher <bwhitcher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wes and Bradley,
>>
>> I know we've gone silent on the R <-> ITK front, I'm still trying to find
>> someone who will do the heavy lifting.
>>
>> Just to let you (and the other ITK list users) that the annual R users
>> meeting will be at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, from 12-15 June.
>>
>>     http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/UseR-2012
>>
>> Abstracts are being accepted until 12 March.  It would be a great way of
>> promoting ITK to the R community!
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> cheers...
>>
>> Brandon
>>

>> On 4 January 2012 17:42, Wes Turner <wes.turner at kitware.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with Bradley that it should be part of the SimpleITK Package.
>>> IMHO, it is too integral to the full functioning of the ITK to R interface
>>> to keep separate.
>>>
>>> Here are the pointers to the VTK versions of the routines.  We will need
>>> to change it to use ITK arrays instead, but that should not be too
>>> difficult.  I am not sure how optimized these are, but once we get the
>>> functionality encapsulated and into SimpleITK, we can work on optimization.
>>>
>>> Basic data conversion:
>>>
>>> http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Graphics/vtkRAdapter.cxx;h=d6049a5eb748f878df56d40b4c82aeec7fc51471;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Graphics/vtkRAdapter.h;h=83a2a833c18d8d8ce36d1f4e77e5cf12b5d2c217;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> Interface to the R Interpreter (probably not needed)
>>>
>>> http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Graphics/vtkRAdapter.h;h=83a2a833c18d8d8ce36d1f4e77e5cf12b5d2c217;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Graphics/vtkRInterface.h;h=e98ce921b5a16c5299fdb8cccbb29793fcd8989b;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> Pipeline encapsulation (probably not needed)
>>>
>>> http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Graphics/vtkRCalculatorFilter.cxx;h=bdc99183fb2a6b949228fcadbed63e4a9f0e9d9a;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Graphics/vtkRCalculatorFilter.h;h=08f43d42b724a608cc37fdba1268875dab7ceba8;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> - Wes

Bradley Lowekamp