[Insight-users] SimpleITK and Python

Christopher Wyatt clwyatt at vt.edu
Tue Jan 31 09:51:59 EST 2012

I have been trying to build SimpleITK and use the Python bindings but have had some issues
(Ubuntu Linux). All the Python tests fail. When trying to figure out the problem I noticed
when using the MICCAI tutorial virtual machine that the tests fail as well.

After starting the VM
cd ~/Source/SimpleITK-build/SimpleITK-build
make test
Python. ... (Failed)

However when I start ipython on the VM it works fine so I think there is some Python path magic
I am missing. In particular I don't have a /Wrapping directory in my SimpleITK build.

Here is the error I get when I activate the virtualenv in
~/SimpleITK-Build/SimpleITK-build/Testing/Installation/PythonVirtualenv
start python and try to import SimpleITK
ImportError:dynamic module does not define init function (init_SimpleITK)

Any pointers to a solution is appreciated.

-- chris.

P.S. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the ITK
devs who worked on ITK 4 and SimpleITK.