[Insight-users] SimpleITK and Python

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jan 31 13:32:54 EST 2012

Hello Chirs,

The VM for the tutorial was keep as small as possible, so the VM did not contain the testing data submodule. This issue is addressed ing the FAQ here:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/SimpleITK/FAQ#Why_are_so_many_tests_failing.3F

Unfortunately, the error you are reporting is not as simple as above. Can you please tell us about your system: OS, python version, and compiler. Also please tell us how you have configured SimpleITK, and are you using the super build as described here:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/SimpleITK/GettingStarted#Build_It_Yourself

Brad

On Jan 31, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Christopher Wyatt wrote:

> I have been trying to build SimpleITK and use the Python bindings but have had some issues
> (Ubuntu Linux). All the Python tests fail. When trying to figure out the problem I noticed
> when using the MICCAI tutorial virtual machine that the tests fail as well.
>
> After starting the VM
> cd ~/Source/SimpleITK-build/SimpleITK-build
> make test
> Python. ... (Failed)
>
> However when I start ipython on the VM it works fine so I think there is some Python path magic
> I am missing. In particular I don't have a /Wrapping directory in my SimpleITK build.
>
> Here is the error I get when I activate the virtualenv in
> ~/SimpleITK-Build/SimpleITK-build/Testing/Installation/PythonVirtualenv
> start python and try to import SimpleITK
> ImportError:dynamic module does not define init function (init_SimpleITK)
>
> Any pointers to a solution is appreciated.
>
> -- chris.
>
> P.S. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the ITK
> devs who worked on ITK 4 and SimpleITK.

Bradley Lowekamp
Medical Science and Computing for
National Library of Medicine