[Insight-users] benchmark-computation time

amir_k kacakici at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:35:03 EDT 2012

I have just wrote the same question in the VTK forum, but the subject
deserves an adequate place in this forum as well.

I've been running the watershed filter since few days now. At first, I
thought my filter was not working (i.e pipeline lost connection -
uninitialized data passing at the filter) but it does finally. It just takes
soo long time to execute the program. Here are my two cases:

1)  DICOM images ( 512x512x10) with not so-detailed data
- it took >30 mins to execute the watershed filter ->Update(). my two input
parameters for lowerThreshold and outputScalelevel are 0.002 and 0.2
respectively.

2) I tried this time to run the exemple WatershedSegmentation2.exe
- this program needs a 3D input file , so I use as proposed in the forum the
brain data file (brainweb1e5a10f17.mha). this file dimension is 181x217x181.
- the output is output.vtk and the other two input parameters are 0.01 and
0.15.
- it s been running for >30 mins now while here I am writing in this forum
(hahaha -I still can laugh but my supervisor seems pissed off with my work
already)

So it would be nice if those who have been working with ITK segmentation
filters could share some informations regarding the computation time. Apart
of Watershed filter, I am planning to use Model Deformable, Shape Detection
and Threshold Level Segmentation filters.

I am using Visual Studio (not using CMAKE) with mode Debug. My PC hardware
configuration is Windows XP with 2.75GB of RAM.

Thank you.

Amir