[Insight-users] Can a metric be negative in ITK?

Rick Frank rickf at fullspectrumsw.com
Mon Mar 5 12:23:12 EST 2012

I believe that is the case. You are trying to minimize a metric, which
is going to be where it's derivative at its global minimum is 0,
Not necessarily the value of the metric.

Also, one must be aware that typically MI has a very "jaggy" metric
trace, which will create local minima. One needs an optimizer that can
Jump out of the local minima, or use a pyramid of resolutions,  and/or,
you can jitter pixels (as per Joachim Hornegger's "Korea"
talk/presentation) to try to smooth the metric. I have not tried the
latter but he claims it will smooth the resulting trace making
optimization less likely to stick in local minima.

You can find his lectures here

http://www5.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/en/our-team/hornegger-joachim/lec
tures/

Rick