[Insight-users] Experts Opinion

Santhosh Ramankutty arsanthosh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:15:01 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am a newbie to ITK. I am in the research phase to decide on what
technologies to use for my requirements.
Hope this is a correct place to ask these questions, if not please let me
know a correct forum to ask these questions.

My requirement is:
1. Read Dicom files
2. Display Dicom image/series in an UI
3. Customizable UI to use the Dicom images and get input from UI. Save the
UI settings etc.
4. Software is for Windows OS, preferably for other OS's also,

To do the above requirements, I found following ways that are possible:
1. SlimDX and ITK
2. VTK and ITK

My question is:
Can I use SlimDX API's to display Dicom images without ITK? or I have to
use ITK to get the Dicom info. From my understanding Dicom can be read
using ITK only, am I correct?
Which is better VTK and ITK or SlimDX and ITK, or there is a better option
than this?
Are there any resources in the web that can help me make a good decision?

Your advise on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Santhosh.