[Insight-users] itk::SimplexMesh and flipped Normals

Kiunke, Sebastian Sebastian.Kiunke at medizin.uni-leipzig.de
Mon May 21 11:51:57 EDT 2012

Hello,

im currently working on a simplex mesh deformable model.
My Problem is, that the normals calculated with the "ComputeNormal" function and also if i calculate them in a standard fashion some normals are flipped.
Thats a problem because the internal forces tend to destruct the mesh and the lighting is not correct.

To get the SimplexMesh i use vtkMarchingCubes to extract a vtkPolyData from a binary image.
I convert the vtkPolyData to itk::Mesh and then to an itk::SimplexMesh via the known itk classes.

Weird is that the lighting as vtkPolyData is correct.

In the itk documentation of itk::TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter is written that "Finally the neighbors of the points are reordered counter-clockwise for geometry computation.".
If i do the computation of the normal in a consistent way, shouldn't be correct, and ALL normals point in- or outwards?

I would be very very thankfull for help.

Greetings,
Sebastian