[Insight-users] using cmake GUI to set up a VTK project

Ronny Shalev rys at case.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:11:38 EDT 2012

I am trying to implement the Step 1 example program provided with the VTK
Examples.  I am using the cmake GUI to try and create a project but I keep
getting the message:

CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/
FindVTK.cmake:135 (MESSAGE):
VTK not found. Set the VTK_DIR cmake cache entry to the directory
containing VTKConfig.cmake. This is either the root of the build tree, or
PREFIX/lib/vtk for an installation. For VTK 4.0, this is the location of
UseVTK.cmake. This is either the root of the build tree or
PREFIX/include/vtk for an installation.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:6 (FIND_PACKAGE)

I specified the VTK_DIR using all possible locations, but this message
keeps returning and I cannot get started with VTK.

My environment:
Microsoft Visual Studio 10 (cmake does find it)
VTK version 5.8.0 (installed under c:\Program Files\)
Cmake version: 2.8.9 (also installed under c:\Program Files\)

I would greatly appreciate help in resolving this.

Thanks for the help