[Insight-users] GDCM version upgrade plans for ITK4?

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 28 14:43:02 EDT 2012

Hans,

One specific feature I am interested in is the support of DICOM
Segmentation storage and bit-encoded PixelData, which was added in
2.2.0 (see more details in the attached exchange with Mathieu).

Looking at the release notes, 2.2.0 also includes support for
SurfaceSegmentation. All these improvements should allow better
support of various types of DICOM in 3D Slicer. Currently, we are
working on implementing support for Segmentation storage in Slicer,
and we would essentially need to duplicate the functionality available
in GDCM.

Having said that, I have not yet tested the segmentation storage
functionality in GDCM.

I cc Steve in case he has any comments as to how updated GDCM could be
relevant for the other Slicer-related projects.

Here's my earlier communication with Mathieu: