[Insight-users] help for Registration

Mohammad Mayya mhd.mayya at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:30:34 EDT 2012

Hi again,

I would go for Brian's first suggestion (as Massi expected).
You still need to consider some issues when following such approach (and
that also depends on why do you need to match those two images):
- As you will re-mesh your PET images, you won't probably have the same
reference p(0,0,0) for both meshes. So, you should properly initiate the
registration by performing some alignment like translation + rotation.
- Now you have your meshes aligned with each other, you can perform a rigid
registration (also translation + rotation) but this time by minimizing the
"distance" between the landmarks on one of the meshes and their
correspondences on the other.
- You may go further (depends on your requirements) and perform an affine
transformation or even a non-rigid registration. Note that this will deform
your data.

Sorry for not providing hints about employing itk into this, I am a new
user of this library.

Enjoy!

Mhd