[Insight-users] Using the class itkConnectedThresholdImageFilter iteratively for airway segmentation

Pietro Nardelli pie.nardelli at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:15:59 EDT 2013

Hy guys,

I'm working on the implementation of a software for airway segmentation
using ITK. Since I'd like to use a Flood Fill operator to move through the
image and segment all the pixels (voxels) below a given threshold, the
class itkConnectedThresholdImageFilter looks what I need. However, I'd like
to develop an iterative process, incrementing the threshold iteratively
until the number of the segmented pixels goes beyond a fixed value. At this
stage, I'm doing this calling the class every time the threshold is
modified and therefore executing a new segmentation. This method turned out
to work quite well, even though at the moment is still too slow (7-10
minutes for a CT dataset). Therefore, I'd like to speed it up and I was
thinking that I could modify the software adding the iterative increment of
the threshold directly within the class.
Do you think this could help to make the software faster? Have you got any
other suggestion?

Thanks for your help,

Pietro