[Insight-users] Fast way to determine minimum distance between two structures

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 16:31:05 EDT 2013

Hi,

One possible way would be to use Fast Marching. You could initialize a
front using all the voxels from the first structure (or, with a little
more computation, all of the surface pixels), and stop the front when
it arrives at one of the voxels from the second structure. If you need
to recover the path, you can trace back along the resultant arrival
function from the point the front touched the secondstructure. (This
could be easily done using the ArrivalFunctionToPathFilter found here:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/213).

There is always more than one way to skin a cat, so others on the list
may offer other (simpler) solutions...

HTH

Cheers, Dan